[ts-gen] trading-shim-060630 announced

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jul 5 17:11:21 EDT 2006

date: Fri Jun 30 2006

     * Numerous dbms changes, leading to a bump in dbms  version:
         + changes to the dbms setup to maintain the ACID  property
         + numerous changes to history-related tables

     * Continued bugfixes, including:
         + an important fix to the dbms load routines
         + portability fixes giving successful compilation on FreeBSD 6.1

We have attracted testers from the FreeBSD community, and with
their help exposed and recoded to solve a couple of
"Linux-ism's" in the networking structures, and in our
approach toward timer calibration for the pacing code toward
the tws-api. (We knew of the second issue from earlier design
sessions; the first was surprising, and we were pleased to
ferret it out without too much pain)

Our internal testing has exposed some assumptions in the
default setup of the MySQL approach on 'ACID' -- The MySQL
writeup on "Transaction Isolation' at:
 	http://dev.mysql.com/books/mysqlpress/mysql-tutorial/ch10.html
mentions that:
 	"The default level for InnoDB is repeatable read."

We have encountered some hard to reproduce 'race conditions'
on content in the database, and have altered the trading-shim
to take steps to attain "Serializable isolation" which should
solve the issues we have seen.

Thank you for your interest; we welcome feedback and comment.

-- The trading-shim team