[ts-gen] Presentation at local LUG

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sun Aug 26 11:52:36 EDT 2007

I presented for a couple hours on the Trading Shim, and
getting an appliance builder working under Xen, at the local
LUG (Linux User Group) yesterday.

 	http://www.colug.net/notes/0708mtg/

Our focus was more on automated appliance building than use of
the shim;  Bill and I have tried to design away or document
all the hard places in getting the shiim going, but we do not
have as avctive a user, tested, or developer community as we
had hoped for by this point.

We hit upon the idea of shipping a turn-key appliace few weeks
ago, to provide a turnkey process on solving the C++ build,
and database setup, and connection to at TWS.  With basically
all that end user needed to do would be to enter the few lines
in the .shimrc file, it would greatly lower the bar to
trialling the tool.  Obviously removing even the editting the
RC file part is next, probably with a webbish control panel to
capture the details.

I need to write the RPM .spec file, and to learn about writing
.deb equivalents as well.

The presentation noted at that link was basically my notes
from a week's work with Xen virtualization (which works as a
host [dom0] to a virtual client [domU] in all *nix and modern
Windows environemnts, and is FOSS). The other materials
present are either tool scripts to be run in the domU , or
sources we used in the presentation so that attendees could
replicate the process demonstrated.

-- Russ Herrold