[ts-gen] A look behind the curtain; was: create & modify orders

Paul C paulq2o0 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 11:41:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:11:37PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Paul C wrote:
>
> > Having experimented with the shim for a few days I'm getting
> > interested in the Order commands and associated sql tables.
>
> Welcome.  Pleased to hear from you. Also welcome to the new
> lurkers on the list.  Every time I update the Freshmeat entry,
> we pick up a couple of new observers.  PLEASE. speak up if you
> have questions.
>
> The shim has been in a usable state for almost two years now,
> and sometimes I feel like Bill and I dominate the list.  It
> _is_ tricky to get started, but almost trivial to use once it
> is set up.

Yes, it's quite easy once over the initial hurdle.  I found reading
the other posts on ts-general useful too.  In addition to the manual
and your commands.pdf (referenced in a ts-gen post somewhere). Is it
fair to say that the sctipts in exs/ and bin/includes are the best
guide to the latest command syntax? or is there a simple way of
extracting this from the source code (e.g. I get the impression that 'open'
has evolved to 'select open', but throwing around a few greps in the
src/ dir didn't get me very far).

<snipped . . .>

> The recent addition of the 'shebang' capabilities in the shim
> was no accident; the release of the sample Ruby script for
> history harvesting was intentional as well; there is a
> possible additional command and control adjunct data path
> which Bill and I blocked out as well, which we will discuss
> more in tomorrow's meeting.

So are you moving towards ruby instead of korn-shell for scripts, or
does ksh have some significant advantage (e.g. coprocesses?) for
interacting with the shim?

It would be interesting to know how other list users interact with the
shim.

> We know that the manual.pdf, and my commands.pdf are woefully
> out of date, and cleaning them to match the 'Production
> Stable' release is on our docket.  The mailing list archives
> are the natural place that Bill and I can first present
> examples of usage of the shim, and we hope the archives are
> useful to members of the list.

Yes, I've found a number of useful posts in the archive and can see
the value of some dialogue between list users.

. . .

> And of course use examples, and documentation.  The full TeX
> is in the tarball for earlier variations of how the shim has
> worked, but it is sad to lose the time spent documenting well
> a failed approach [I know that the re-work of the 'select' and
> 'cancel' verbs, whole proper as a matter of design, caused
> about 80 pages of my command reference to go stale in about a
> day ;) ] We had on-line help substantially complete, but then
> that same change obsoleted much, and broke some of my
> documentation building scripts.  Ah well ...

I can appreciate the difficulty of documenting something that is
changing.  Now that I know _what_ has changed, I find the docs quite
useful.  I haven't yet gone as far as using the .tex files (did I read
somewhere there is more info in the tex that doesn't make it to the
pdf/html?).

Thanks for the info anyway.

Regards,

Paul