[ts-gen] QQQQ example: was: Re: Some Newbie Questions

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jul 15 18:07:11 EDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jay Strauss wrote:

> Hi Russ,

;)

> Thanks for the guidance.  So you've answered a bunch of my
> questions so far:

> 1) QQQQ (the ETF) is already in the DB, so it's the
> developer's responsibility to query the DB to find the ID to
> submit to the shim.

This will change shortly (get much easier), but, I wanted to
get your question answered as you were plowing through
(ploughing thru) the details.

> 2) The DBs preloaded data is maintained in general by you,
> but with suggestions from the Mailing list.

yup -- again, Bill and I were working on this, as you raised
the topic, in our planning meeting yesterday (we do them on
Mondays), and again today, and this will only get easier in
the future.  There is an irreduceable minimum however, which
we will reach, at which point, database unloads and reloads
will become needful.  We have tried to finesse this during
the developmental phase [where we have needed the freedom to
alter the schema to repsond to un-anticipated coding
implementation details], but we know it is on the horizon.

> 3) "Select" is kinda new and doesn't show in the docs, I
> should use the source (luke), as my guide.

I think the sample scripts in ./exs/ might be easier, along
with my 'commands.pdf' referece today;  the source is ... not
for the timid, being what I consider a very mature codeing
approach in C++.

> 4) With regard to Oracle.  Oracle has a separate device/
> entity/ construct/ table... call a "sequence" which one uses
> to generate "ID"s for tables.  For each table, one
> (typically) creates a corresponding sequence, and then link
> the two with a "on insert" trigger.  Sequences are
> guaranteed to be unique across login sessions so there is no
> risk of duplication.  I know lots of other RDBMS have an
> "auto increment" type of column.  Its a different design,
> both have advantages and disadvantages, but they both
> accomplish the same goal.

Got it.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I started writing what
we now call relational databases back in the early '70's, and
know that there are many roads to wrangling data  ;)

> 5) regarding the shim output being a file, pipe, syslog.  I get it.

Only think I would add is that the shim can (trivially) do
several at once in its output routing.

-- Russ