[ts-gen] compile problems on cygwin

Bill Pippin pippin at owlriver.net
Fri May 16 13:35:28 EDT 2008

Gabriel,

I'm delighted to hear from you; you have an intriguing problem:

> Has anyone else tried to compile trader shim on cygwin?  I've
> successfully compiled on linux, but I get cryptic compile errors
> when I try on cygwin.

I believe you are first, so that you are doing pioneering work.
Congratulations!

It's entirely possible that the problems you refer to are caused by
macros defined in various cygwin-specific headers.  There are very
few hits in google for:

"error: anachronistic old-style base class initializer" or
"error: unnamed initializer for" and "which has no base classes";

I find two and six, respectively, and the one site common to both
seemed to be suffering from prior macro defines that collided with
data member names.

The error messages you see indicate that g++ is completely confused
about the typedefs and class definitions, presumably since arbitrary
program text tokens have been deleted / inserted / modified.

If the problem is indeed caused by earlier macro defs, running the
preprocessor on the text and comparing the result with the original
header may help you identify the name.  Once you have that, a simple
undef will probably solve the problem.

You might want to start by trying to compile a simple, one-line test.c
file of the form:

#include "glossary.h"

It won't run, of course; the point here is just to see if g++ can get
through it without choking.

Good luck, and please let us know how you're doing.