[ts-gen] Cross-session order modification and cancellation ...

pippin at owlriver.net pippin at owlriver.net
Wed Nov 26 20:30:22 EST 2008

Nils, and Sam,

I've just pushed another release, with a modified Makefile removing
the -O3 optimization flag.

I installed Ubuntu 8.04, and exactly duplicated the problems
seen by Nils.  When I added the -g flag back in, to keep symbols, and
reran gdb, it became clear that g++ had utterly ruined argument passing
for reference parameters, with the args not only turned to garbage ---
which could conceivably be due to some error in my code elsewhere ---
but also for many other cases optimized away, even though they were
clearly essential.

Other people developing with Debian are seeing this problem; just
search with google for:

    4.3.2 "value optimized out"

I'm not sure what's wrong here, but clearly -O3 has to go for now.
Other developers are also convinced they have parameters that should
be explicitly passed, and are avoiding the problem with the same
approach, of disabling optimization.  Although many of the problems
are for Debian 64bit gcc 4.3.2, developers for KDE, GnuStep [Apple?],
and PowerPc gcc seem to have the same problem in some cases.  At the
same time, there is at least one case where g++ core developers
don't see the bug, and of course we don't see it with Centos
and g++ 4.1.3.  Whatever, no -O3 for now.

I don't see any reason why the two of you you need to download this
tarball --- the code itself is unchanged, outside of the changes to
our release script, and to the Makefile --- but clearly I need to
protect other potential users of the shim from the flawed compilation,
which is why the additional release.

Thanks again for your bug reports.

If you go on to use the cross-session features, please let us know
if the implementation suits your purposes.