[ts-gen] Speculation about lost order status messages

Bill Pippin pippin at owlriver.net
Wed Oct 7 15:56:07 EDT 2009

Ken,

About using the Java sample client:

> As I have been stuck too long at this last piece of getting the whole
> system working, and I am not confident that I have the expertise to
> manipulate low-level Ruby or C correctly, especially in the presence
> of threading code, I will take a short hiatus from that part of the
> Shim and see if I can get this last piece (Risk) working through the
> Java API.

Please note that you don't need to use threads with the ruby sample
client; just add other IO channels to the select array, and add a
case to absorb the input when it is ready for that channel.  I don't
view ruby code as low-level, and hope that the ruby sample client
will solve concurrency issues for other users, though YMMV.  Please
note also that downstream users should be able to avoid C entirely,
whatever system they use, and finally, that where threads are optional
and undesirable with ruby, you will definitely be working with a
threaded system if you adapt the IB java sample client.

In any case, good luck with IB's sample client sources; you should use
whatever language and implementation you are most comfortable with.
Let me take this opportunity to thank you for a number of very useful
feature and bug reports.