[ts-gen] input corruption on mac

Bill Pippin pippin at owlriver.net
Thu Sep 3 15:32:35 EDT 2009

Richard,

About the premature termination you are seeing:

> I am running into input corruption problems on the Mac
> (Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0, MacOs 10.5.8)
> ... from ruby ... ran into `write': Broken pipe (Errno::EPIPE)
> from popen3, which pretty much means shim had gone away.

True.

> ... error[s] ... two [versions] ... I have ... shim-090812 and
> shim-090901 ... not just ... from ruby.  The shim shell also
> does it.

The fact that you are seeing problems with 090901, released just
last Tuesday, is not good news.  I've been working on various memory
allocation subsystems for the past couple of months, and there were
known problems with releases near the end of last month that I
warned of in the NEWS, though I had believed until your report
that Tue was fine.

I'd like to ask that you at least try out today's release, since
although I am still working on memory allocation, there have been
significant fixes since the beginning of the week.

Please let us know how the most recent release works for you; after
downloading and compiling the sources, please try the exs/test.rb
script to see what happens.