[ts-gen] Keeping TWS/shim up for an entire week?

Ken Feng kfmfe04 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 18:35:11 EDT 2009

On 9/4/09, Richard Pruss <boadie at gmail.com> wrote:
> That was interesting for me and I found this ruby gem, which works
> quiet nicely,
> for realtime on many, many markets:
> http://www.transparentech.com/opensource/yahoofinance

Interesting, but I wonder if this is real-time with a 20 minute delay.
 If they have currencies, this may act as a nice backup for TWS.  Thx!

> - How are you resetting the log off time hourly?

There are many tools in Yahoo Groups under TWSAPI, but I personally
had trouble getting them to work under Ubuntu, so I just wrote my own
using netbeans and jemmy.  Jemmy allows me to query the application
window for its child widgets and retrieve handles into those widgets.
So I fix a timer in Java to run once an hour to bring up the automatic
logout window and set the log-out time to one hour in the past.  It's
not idea because it physically grabs focus from the user, but it works
for me under KDE when I use multiple desktops - as long as I am not in
that desktop at the time of the reset, there's no "fighting for focus"
with Jemmy.

With this setup, I log in once a week and leave it running.

- Ken