[ts-gen] Handling commissions and fees

Ken Feng kfmfe04 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:28:41 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

When I first read this, I got a bitter taste in my mouth - fees are so
basic, but they don't seem to be accessible.  But after thinking about
it somewhat, I think your suggestion may be the only way to go.  The
problem with the 3/7/7 solution posted seems to be, not only is it a
sum of realized p & l plus commissions, but also, I think because it
only seems to show up when I query for acct, it seems to include all
the trades that occurred during some unspecified time period (one
day?) - or is it the last trade?

What I may have to do is, calculate my expected fees, and insert that
value into MySQL and then, as a part of daily reconciliation run the
Reports Management under "Activity Flex" as you mentioned, and keep
reworking my code until I can get the two sides to match without
intervention.

What's worse is, I can't build this software until I start trading for
real - there are no reports for paper accounts - the best I can do is
calculated an expected_fee and then reconcile this value later...

I wish there was a better way - anyone else with ideas or descriptions
of how you deal with detecting your fees from upstream?

I wonder how TWS itself does it...
Thanks.

- Ken