[ts-gen] Handling commissions and fees

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Sep 16 15:45:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Paul C wrote:

> Sorry, the Trade Confirmation reports on the IB website are of course
> available for the current day/time; only the Activity reports
> (featuring other types of fee) are next day or end of day. Probably
> that is the way to go then. -P

This matches my understandig and observation -- executions
confirmations for a prior day are gone after my regularly
scheduled 10 pm disconnect when I log in again the following
day.

As I recall, some of that detail is maintained (cached)
locally from an examination ofthe XML day files; and if
missing as when one logs in from a new workstation with a
different filesystem, it gets transferred again

Additionally there was formerly a checkbox to check about
how aggressively it freshened the data, buried in one of the
options

I have not spoken to the topic of 'keeping a single session
alive' as through Java hacks, or [for non-Secure ID token
protected accounts, automated logout and logins] -- see:
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/faq/?autologin
whch I formerly used -- I concluded after a while that if IB
wanted me to log out daily, and in light of seeming memory
leakiness consuming ram on my local boxes, and through the
reports of others, that the safer course was to simply let it
log me out.   Ken's desire for 24/7 coverage I would solve
with two gatherers and staggered logout/logins for the pair

Then IB went to the the SecureID type token, and I concluded
that they had good and sufficient reasons to do so to protect
my account details, and I was not going to weaken protections
they thought needful

This also forces manual logins, to retrieve web reports ;(
yuck -- and screen scraping is for windows washers  ;)

I have no good solutions here except to settle with methods
outside the shim's responsibility